Thursday, 7 May 2015

Quenching Our Thirst From the Garden Hose

Follow my blog with Bloglovin







A popular meme circulates on social media every so often, listing all of the things we ‘survived’ doing as kids in the olden days, because we were allegedly strong and resilient and the world was less litigious. There are different versions around, and sometimes different decades mentioned, depending where it is posted.

Generally, the meme goes along these lines … we rode bikes without helmets, stayed out until the street lights came on, our mothers consumed all of the things that are now frowned upon during pregnancy, we rode in cars without seat belts, etc. The list is way too long to quote here. The implication is that modern day kids (the alleged bubble-wrapped Generation Z) are too soft to do these kinds of things.

One of the items on this list of things we did in the good ole days is ‘we drank water from the garden hose’. Well, yes we did, but it’s not really something to hang your hat on, is it?

I’ll tell you something, unknown writer of that meme (since it’s such a big deal to you) my children have been known to drink out of the garden hose. Only the back yard though. See, the front yard tap fitting is in our kitchen drawer.

What? Well, just before we moved in here a few years ago there was a strange spate of tap-fitting burglaries in the area. They must be made from some kind of metal that can be sold on the black market or something. Everyone’s taps were stolen, and when they replaced them they were stolen again. I heard the total number of taps stolen was around 20,000. I’m not kidding. So our front yard tap fitting was in the kitchen drawer when we moved in. And it still is.

Anyway, I thought I’d just point that out, because the poor old ‘bubble-wrapped’ Gen Z gets a bit of a shellacking in the media for not climbing trees, skinning knees, or drinking out of garden hoses, when there’s a actually a big thieving bunch of Gen Y and Gen Xers stealing their bloody tap fittings!

And while we are on the subject of drinking out of garden hoses, I need to tell you something else. It is, in fact, fraught with peril.  

I was once a garden hose drinker, but my hose-drinking journey was cut short as a child.

One thirsty summer day I turned on the hose and a stupid brown toad came gushing out! Luckily I hadn’t put the hose to my mouth yet, but yeah … making the trip inside the house to the kitchen didn’t seem like such a bad idea at all after that. 











photo credit: Garden Hose via photopin (license)

18 comments:

  1. I still let my kids drink out of the hose.. Pick up food they dropped and eat it ( no toilets, shopping centres or barns allowed) and not wash hands before eating every meal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Washing hands before a meal is a funny one - I think it's a big yes or no for a lot of people. I don't make my kids wash their hands before a meal, but if they are helping prepare a meal or something like that, then they do.

      Delete
  2. In the mother country we have a delicious sausage dish called Toad in the Hole, have you ever had it? (There's a recipe on the blog, just saying!) Anyways, your story made me think of Toad in the Hose! Not quite so appealing! And what's with those taps? Are they gold plated or what?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the taps might have copper or something, Sammie. I've also heard of thieves stealing copper wiring and cabling. Anyway, it was some kind of crazy tap heist along those lines.I thought it sounded stupid, but other people in the neighbourhood confirmed it.
      I won't be looking at any recipes containing references to toads, frogs or any other amphibians. I do like the non-amphibian recipes you post, though!

      Delete
  3. That made me laugh out loud! I have to admit these days on long runs when I stop to drink from a public bubbler a small part of me cringes... gone are my tap drinking days ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fluffy. They should have a sign on bubblers saying that you're not allowed to wrap your big fat lips around the bubbler nozzle. I'm really not the kind of person who needs to sanitise everything but some things just make me cringe, and ingesting someone else's DNA from a bubbler is one of them.

      Delete
  4. I can remember drinking out of the garden hose when you were having so much fun that you couldn't imagine going all the way inside to get a drink of water. These days a lot of garden hoses are connected to recycled water that shouldn't be consumed…but if not, drink from the garden hose I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shari. You're right about having too much fun to go inside and get water. After that toad incident though (and i have a thing about frogs/toads in any context) I would probably have chosen to wither from thirst if I didn't want to go inside. LOL

      Delete
  5. I will totally let my kids drink out of the hose. Will save washing up a cup! But I will wait to see if anything is going to crawl out of it first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good plan, Karin. Lol. Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. You have lots of new visitors so I'll just leave a brief "hello"...
    I agree...hose water isn't what it's cracked up to be... often hot and tasting of plastic... even the metal fitting was hot... (They were all metal in my childhood).
    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Hello!" (An exclamation mark just for you, Wendy.I know you love them.)
      Yeah, completely over-rated. Especially in the hot, hot weather. x

      Delete
  7. You must live in Qld! My kids climbed trees and one broke her foot. They did pretty much all the things I did as a kid but out of five kids, only two ever broke anything. I was brought up in the sixties and yet was so overprotected it wasn't funny. I read those memes and think, if only my mother had let me do all those things. I'm fifty-four and am still yet to break a bone! I feel as though I missed out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinky, I live in Melbourne, but I grew up in Northern NSW.
      Totally different times back then, weren't they. I'm sorry you missed out on some of the 'carefree' lifestyle of that era, but i'm equally sorry that today's kids are criticised for not doing certain things when there are very real reasons they can't. Not talking about the garden hose thing, but there are a lot of dicks out there who make it hard for kids to have real freedom.

      Delete